Just in a while, IDC has released the data for smartphone shipment Q2 2017. While many big players in the industry seem to benefit and ship more phones, the total shipment actually declined a bit as compared to the Q2 2016. Smartphone shipments declined 1.3% from Q2 2016 and were down 0.8% from Q1 2017.
As it seems from the Smartphone Shipment Q2 2017 report from IDC, while the smartphone industry indeed suffered a lesser amount in shipments, major players see a positive growth. Samsung and Apple seem to have a similar percentage of shares just like Q2 2016, while the other three brands Huawei, OPPO, and Xiaomi have seen a positive growth in market shares. But now let’s take a look at each of these top 5 brands regarding market share and shipment volume.
- Samsung stays on top as the world leader in smartphones. Samsung has got a quote excellent 23.3% share and has gained 1.4% growth. Leave the Note 7 debate now. Samsung has been progressing well with flagships like the Galaxy S8 and S8+, and in most developing countries like India, their J Series is in high demand these days.
- Apple has shipped 41.0 million iPhones in Q2 2017 and witnessed a growth of 1.5% year-over-year growth from the 40.4 million units shipped last year.
- At the third position, there is the telecom and now a major smartphone manufacturer Huawei. Huawei has captured an immense 19.6% year-over-year growth and probably the main reason behind their growth is the kind of lineup they have for consumers as they have got not so many phones, but have phones in the budget segment as well flagships, which can cater the needs to mainly performance crazy users and mobile photography enthusiasts.
- OPPO shipped 27.8 million units worldwide and held a share of 8.1%. The growth rate is 1.5% when compared to last years shipments. The brand sells well in China and Asian countries including India. OPPO is also expanding to Europe and other parts of the world, but maybe they can do better if they provide their whole range of smartphones and make them available for purchase worldwide.
- Xiaomi, the Apple of China continues to grow, and they have got the most impressive figures regarding year-over-year growth at a whopping 58.9%, beating Vivo. Xiaomi has been very very aggressive with its offerings and pricings in India, and they have gained a significant number of hardcore fans very fast in the country. The report also shows that Chinese brands like OPPO are doing good in India as well.
Table of smartphone shipment Q2 2017 data from IDC-
|Worldwide Quarterly Smartphone Market, Top 5 Company Shipments, Market Share, and Year-Over-Year Growth, Q2 2017 (shipments in millions of units)|
|Company||2Q17 Shipment Volume||2Q17 Market Share||2Q16 Shipment Volumes||2Q16 Market Share||Year-Over-Year Change|
|Source: IDC Worldwide Quarterly Mobile Phone Tracker, August 2, 2017|
The rest of the shipments are covered by other brands like Lenovo, Motorola, Vivo, OnePlus and more with a total market share of 39.0%. However, this section saw a decline of 16% as compared to previous year.
So, as per the Smartphone shipment Q2 2017 report from IDC, the smartphone market has not grown like expected when we compare the shipment to the previous year but many brands seem to have a steady growth like Apple and Samsung, while Xiaomi saw a massive abrupt growth over the last year as the brand is being trendy in India and China. In Smartphone Shipment Report of Q1 2017, IDC found out that more than 50% share of the Indian smartphone market is taken by Chinese brands.