The wait is finally over! Nokia 6, the first Android smartphone announced by HMD Global at China today. It is the first ever Android smartphone that HMD Global launched after it got the patent rights from Microsoft to use the Nokia branding on their phones. It was 2014 since we saw a smartphone from Nokia and after three years we are finally witnessing a new era in smartphone segment with Nokia’s coming back to Android smartphones.
There were a lot of rumors that Nokia will launch several smartphones from extreme low-end smartphones priced at $150 [Rs. 10,000] to the flagships priced at $1000 at MWC 2017. But, before the MWC, HMD Global announced the first Nokia smartphone for 2017 in China. Also, in the press release the HMD Global spokespersons mentioned several reasons for launching the smartphone in China. By 2017, the Chinese smartphone users will reach 593 million reasons from 552 million users [as in 2016]. So, to make a successful comeback, HMD Global’s primary strategy is to launch the Nokia 6 in China first, understand the audience receiving and then make it globally available.
Nokia 6 – Key Features & Specifications:
- A 5.5-inch, 2.5D curved glass display with a screen resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels, protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 3
- Powered by a 64-bit Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 430 processor and the GPU is Adreno 505
- It has 4GB LPDDR3 RAM & 64GB internal memory which can further expandable to 128GB by using microSD
- It runs on Android 7.0 (Nougat) out of the box
- A 16MP rear camera with dual-tone LED flash, PDAF, and an 8MP front-facing camera, both with f/2.0 aperture
- A Fingerprint sensor on the home button
- 3.5mm audio jack exists
- Dual speakers, Dual smart amplifiers with 6dB louder sound than regular amplifiers, Dolby Atmos
- 3000mAh battery
The Foxconn made Nokia 6 will be available for $245 [Rs.16.7K] and is sold exclusively through JD.com very soon. The other new smartphones from Nokia will be announced in the first quarter of 2017 itself, and it’s obvious it will happen in MWC 2017. Meanwhile, the company will test the audience pulse with the Nokia 6.