Obi Worldphone made a buzz few months back with their semi-high-end, affordable smartphones – SF1 & SJ1.5. They planned to launch their devices country by country & the recent was Riyadh, now the halt is world’s second most populous country in the world- India.
Few hours back a teaser was released in Facebook & Twitter accounts of Obi Worldphone hinting they will soon launch their devices in India. You can check the teaser pic below which depicts some of the famous landmarks in India. Isn’t it very clear?
As per IBNLive’s report, only one phone will be launched in India, and that will be Obi Wordlphone SF1 which is obviously a high-end one comparing to the later device – SJ1.5. During a press meet today, the company’s Co-Founder & CEO- Neeraj Chauhan said, “We plan to launch Obi Worldphone in India within this month and are committed to work relentlessly to enthral consumers with our innovations in design, state-of-the-art technology and high standards for manufacturing to deliver inspiring products that overturn the general assumption that great design has to come at a high price.”
Formerly, this company is known as Obi Mobiles which released some budget-end smartphones in India, but they weren’t successful. Later, the Obi Mobiles company rebranded itself as Obi Worldphone and now planning to enter into India once again. Let’s have a look at some facts about this company.
Some quick facts about the company
- Former Apple & Pepsi CEO John Sculley co-founded this company
- A San Francisco-based design company- Ammunition manufactures the devices, the company was founded by former director of Industrial design for Apple computer – Robert Brunner | You can see the “Designed in San Francisco” on the rear side of the phones
- Formerly the company is called as Obi Mobiles which is now rebranded as Obi Worldphone
Obi WorldPhone SF1 Specifications:
- A 5-inch JDI In-Cell IPS with a display resolution of 1080 x 1920 pixels, the screen is protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 4
- Powered by a 1.5GHz 64-bit Octa processor with Qualcomm MSM8939 Snapdragon 615 chipset
- Runs on Android 5.0.2 Lollipop out of the box
- The rear camera has 13MP AF with LED Flash while the front-facing is of 5MP with LED Flash
- The phone is available in 2 variants – 32GB Internal Storage + 3GB RAM / 16GB Internal Storage + 2GB RAM
- Memory can be Expanded up to 64GB by using the MicroSD card
- A 3000 mAh Li-Po battery with Quick Charge 1.0 is packed inside
As the company’s co-founder John invested in NDTV’s Gadget 360, the phone will likely to be launched exclusively in Gadgets 360 store. Let’s hope this Lumia lookalike phone will win the hearts of Indian users & may not end up like Jolla.